Announcement of the art competition by MÜNZENBERG FORUM BERLIN 2018
To the background information.
MÜNZENBERG FORUM BERLIN announces an art competition in three categories – Film, Photography and Collage – for the third time. In each category, a prize money of up to 5.000 € will be awarded. A jury decides on its division among the winners.
This year’s motto is
But our condition’s such it can’t be so.
To this realization come the beggar king Peachum, his wife and daughter Polly in the song „On the Uncertainty of Human Relations“ in the first finale of the Threepenny Opera by Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill, which premiered on 31.08.1928.
It is the social conditions that ultimately determine people’s actions.This insight has not lost any of its relevance in times when different social groups around the world are increasingly being played off against each other, criminalizing their commitment to humanity and openness being pushed back by protectionism and threats.
In the year of the 90th anniversary of the premiere of the most-performed play of the twentieth century – the Threepenny Opera – and the 120th birthday of Bertolt Brecht, the MÜNZENBERG FORUM BERLIN expects submissions in the respective categories, which deal with/address today’s socio-political conditions.
The deadline for all three categories is August 10, 2018.
Competition photography “Use Photography as Weapon”
The photo competition is aimed at all photographers in Germany and abroad, who have not yet completed their forty years of age on 01.04.2018. Up to three individual images or a consistent series / reportage of up to 8 images can be submitted. Please send your images in digital form directly to email@example.com or via fileshare platform (for example, https://wetransfer.com/) by 10 August 2018. The images must be submitted as high-resolution jpegs with an edge length (long side) of 3500 pixels. Please do not send PDFs! The application should also include: the title of the photos, the year of the creation of the pictures, an explanation of the work on a maximum A4 page with reference to the competition motto, a CV showing the artistic development.
Please note that there is an extra competition for collages!
Competition film “Conquer the Film”-Prize
The film competition is aimed at all filmmakers in Germany and abroad, who have not yet completed their forty years of age on 01.04.2018. A film with a maximum length of 30 minutes can be submitted. Please send your film in digital form directly to firstname.lastname@example.org or via fileshare platform by 10 August 2018. The film should have an HD resolution (720p or higher) with a 16: 9 aspect ratio. Desired file formats are mp4, wmv, avi and mov.
The application should also include: the title of the film and the release year, an explanation of the work on a maximum A4 page with reference to the competition motto, a CV showing the artistic development.
Competition collage “Take Newspapers, use Scissors”
The collage competition is aimed at all artists and designers in Germany and abroad, who have not yet completed their forty years of age on 01.04.2018. Up to three individual works may be submitted. Please send high-resolution images of your works in digital form directly to email@example.com or via fileshare platform by 10 August 2018. Allowed are: any kind of (two dimensional) visual collage, i.e. image collage, photomontage. Excluded are plastic collages or montages and sculptures. The original works must be available for the exhibition period.
The application should also include: the title of the works, the year of the creation, an explanation of the works on a maximum A4 page with reference to the competition motto, a CV showing the artistic development.
Exhibition and Publication
The winning pictures, films and collages will be exhibited in the foyer of the FMP1 (Franz-Mehring-Platz 1, 10243 Berlin) during the 8th European Month of Photography, from 28 September 2018 to 31 October 2018. In addition, the entries of the winners will be published on the website of the MÜNZENBERG FORUM BERLIN for documentation.
We reserve further publications within the framework of cooperations.
GUIDELINES for the art competition in all three categories
1) The artists participating assure that they own the copyrights on the submitted works (text/lyrics, image etc.). Furthermore they asssure that no rights to the submitted works and used material are held by third parties and that, in cases where individuals or enterprises are shown, no individual rights or corporate rights are infringed upon.
2) The artists participating release the organizer of all liability claims by third parties concerning the violation of copyright issues mentioned in paragraph 1.
3) The organizer of the competition respects the image and exploitation rights of the participants. By submitting the works the participant guarantees the organizer to publish/ and use the images of the submitted works and to exhibit the works free of charge in the context of the competition and the following exhibition.
4) Submitted contributions and data are stored for the purposes of the competition. They will not be passed on to third parties. Participants who receive a prize money will be published on the web pages and social media channels of the organizer with their (artist) name and, if applicable, a web presence.
5) Post-submitted contributions can not be returned.
6) The legal process for the competition is excluded.
Data privacy agreement
Specified, personal participant data are stored, processed and used solely for the purpose of carrying out this competition and contacting the winners. This data is not passed on to third parties. Further information about the competition will be available to interested parties in the coming weeks on www.münzenbergforum.de.