Announcement of the art competition by MÜNZENBERG FORUM BERLIN 2020
The MÜNZENBERG FORUM BERLIN dedicates its artistic competition in the three categories – photography, film and collage – 2020 to the times of the state of emergency:
Each year we introduce a quotation that describes the present with a historical retrospective and shows a tendency for the future. In these extraordinary times of the Covid19 pandemic and against the background of the 75th anniversary of liberation day, we have chosen a quotation from Albert Camus „The Plague“ (1947) for 2020.
„All agreed that the amenities of the past couldn’t be re-stored at once; destruction is an easier, speedier process thanreconstruction.“
The novel is read as a processing of his personal and social experiences during the Second World War and his examination of the absurdity of life, the constant revolt against the senselessness of the world.
Wars and pandemics have in common that they fall unexpectedly on those affected. An end or a return to normality, whatever that may be, is not in sight.
Everyday life is newly shaped, in the case of Covid19: with fear of the illness, uncertainties, restrictions, control, isolation and withdrawal, but also with solidarity, connectedness and ways of bypassing new rules.
The MÜNZENBERG FORUM BERLIN expects submissions in the individual categories, which deal with/address today’s socio-political conditions and developments. In each category, prize money of up to 5.000 € will be awarded. A jury decides on its division among the winners. The deadline for all categories is August 9th.
Find more background Information about the competition.
Competition photography “Use Photography as Weapon”
The photo competition is aimed at all photographers in Germany and abroad, who have not yet completed their forty years of age on 01.04.2020. Up to three individual images or a consistent series / reportage of up to 8 images can be submitted. Please send your images in digital form directly to firstname.lastname@example.org or via fileshare platform (for example, https://wetransfer.com/) by 9 August 2020. The images must be submitted as high-resolution jpegs with an edge length (long side) of 3500 pixels. Please do not send PDFs! The application should also include: the title of the photos, the year of the creation of the pictures, an explanation of the work on a maximum A4 page with reference to the competition motto, a CV showing the artistic development.
Please note that there is an extra competition for collages!
Competition film “Conquer the Film”-Prize
The film competition is aimed at all filmmakers in Germany and abroad, who have not yet completed their forty years of age on 01.04.2020. A film with a maximum length of 30 minutes can be submitted. Please send your film in digital form directly to email@example.com or via fileshare platform by 9 August 2020. The film should have an HD resolution (720p or higher) with a 16:9 aspect ratio. Desired file formats are mp4, wmv, avi and mov.
The application should also include: the title of the film and the release year, an explanation of the work on a maximum A4 page with reference to the competition motto, a CV showing the artistic development.
Competition collage “Use Scissors”
The collage competition is aimed at all artists and designers in Germany and abroad, who have not yet completed their forty years of age on 01.04.2020. Up to three individual works may be submitted. Please send high-resolution images of your works in digital form directly to firstname.lastname@example.org or via fileshare platform by 9 August 2020. Allowed are: any kind of (two dimensional) visual collage, i.e. image collage, photomontage. Excluded are plastic collages or montages and sculptures. The original works must be available for the exhibition period.
The application should also include: the title of the works, the year of the creation, an explanation of the works on a maximum A4 page with reference to the competition motto, a CV showing the artistic development.
Exhibition and Publication
The winning pictures, films and collages will be exhibited in the foyer of the FMP1 (Franz-Mehring-Platz 1, 10243 Berlin) from 01 October 2020 to 31 October 2020. In addition, the entries of the winners will be published on the website of the MÜNZENBERG FORUM BERLIN for documentation. We reserve further publications within the framework of cooperations.
GUIDELINES for the art competition in all three categories
1) The artists participating assure that they own the copyrights on the submitted works (text/lyrics, image etc.). Furthermore they asssure that no rights to the submitted works and used material are held by third parties and that, in cases where individuals or enterprises are shown, no individual rights or corporate rights are infringed upon.
2) The artists participating release the organizer of all liability claims by third parties concerning the violation of copyright issues mentioned in paragraph 1.
3) The organizer of the competition respects the image and exploitation rights of the participants. By submitting the works the participant guarantees the organizer to publish/ and use the images of the submitted works and to exhibit the works free of charge in the context of the competition and the following exhibition.
4) Submitted contributions and data are stored for the purposes of the competition. They will not be passed on to third parties. Participants who receive a prize money will be published on the web pages and social media channels of the organizer with their (artist) name and, if applicable, a web presence.
5) Post-submitted contributions can not be returned.
6) The legal process for the competition is excluded.
Data privacy agreement
Specified, personal participant data are stored, processed and used solely for the purpose of carrying out this competition and contacting the winners. This data is not passed on to third parties.